Saturday, April 23, 2011

Out of my Writing closet...A vintage one...Part 1!!

I want to start with a word of thanks to Sandeep for introducing me to this special possession. I am talking about the HBO Original Series, Sex and the City!! I want to recollect some golden moments of it which I enjoyed very much!!

First time when I heard this tune playing in the series at the start of a fresh episode, it caught my attention. For a moment, it surmounted the memory of my party days, with the playing of the “Smoke on the water” by Deep Purple. For me, it was a melodious retreat of “Smoke…….”…..

Well, that was the start. I got to know about a series, by the name of the “Sex and the city”, which was aired on HBO. I do not however remember now, when I captured my initial rendezvous with the series. Sadly, I could not follow the series in television.

Two years ago in 2008, the series (or its aftermath to be precise) was made into a movie, by the same name. I planned, and decided that I should not miss this opportunity of watching the movie, which could generate rave applauds worldwide. I booked the tickets for the movie, with some of my colleagues. As ill luck would have it, we could reach the theatre only past the interval. Hence, it became another futile exercise of attempting to catch the grapevine surrounding the movie. The only enticing moment which I could follow, was the brilliant reproduction of the love letter penned down by Ludwig Van Beethoven, when Carry, one of the lead in the movie, recited in her most delirious panache.

A few months back, around January 2010, during a break from work, I and Sandeep were strolling round the office outskirts. It was an evening, with a cool breeze blown air to air, complemented by a year warming hair ticklish drizzle. Nature made no less effort to give a silver lining to the now infamous Cybercity. The presence of the many companies like Microsoft, Sapient, Canon, KPMG, PwC, GE and their name tags in the most luminous way made the place look like heaven. Subsequent to that, the amazing structures of the buildings, accommodating those corporate houses were used by the advertisers to promote larger than life static commercials. These include Ray Ban, Aircel, and Blender’s Pride etc.

While we were looking at the newly transforming commercial landscape of Gurgaon with an enraptured vision, Sandeep observed that this place was gradually developing into Times Square of New York. I couldn’t but agree to his observation. The engulfing emergence of these modern day decoration on the buildings, roads and everywhere presented to us a suedo New York, to us. Talking about New York, we discovered the tidbits about the city in the heart of its presentments, in terms of the 24*7 lively atmosphere, the NYPD, the night life, the statue of liberty, the Wall Street and the NYSE, Starbucks, Brooklyn bridge and of course Manhattan.

“When I went to New York, I went to the Liberty and visited Times Square. That was just a day long affair. But to feel New York, you need to spend some good time there”, I remember saying that to Sandeep. “I sometime wonder, if there is any book or a movie or anything which can display the essence of the city!”

Sandeep took no time to advise me to watch Sex and the City, the series.

It was an all encompassing 6 seasons; it is difficult to decide where to start when I start talking about it. Be it the storyline; the cast and the character; the amazing screenplay; the direction, I mean the spontaneity which each of the characters evolve; the inscrutable ability of the series to make the audience feel at home and with the progress of the series, the viewers live the story. That’s what makes the success story so enumerable. The viewers will try to guess; for example, in my case I had had a liking to the character of Steve, Miranda Hobbs’ husband. Their relationship had enough of twists and turns; at one point I assumed that the “TiVo” supersedes Stevo and Miranda would have no regrets about it. That was when the miraculous twist happened. And times I want to question the story tellers, “1. How can you make an audience believe, Miranda discovers that she loves Steve after their baby celebrates his first birthday and at a time when she is in head over hills in a relationship with her neighbor? 2. Miranda finally marries Steve, at a time she knew she was well settled in her life, without her ex?”

Well, the answer to these sabbatical questions lie in watching the series and believing that there is a great pride in thinking differently. The makers must have believed in this philosophy throughout as it is quite gratifying to know that the spirit of the series was not dampened, even after running for over a decade. The series evolved well with the varying tides of ages.

To be continued............


No comments: