Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Known Unknown.....

This is something for which I have rejoiced more often than not. I have dared to refer to this as a Friendship which is gifted more than established. Gifted because the manner in which it has intruded into my life was not a planned transition, rather it had so far been a gradual soul healing breeze that would unwind even the forlorn mind.

Mansi, daughter of one my distant uncle and I have never met so far. It was only last year when I had an opportunity to interact with her over the phone. We were strangers then. But when we started talking, the ubiquitous hesitation had vanished and we behaved as if we knew each other from ages. In the very first conversation I could confess that I am an occasional drinker and she could easily take on board the ground realities.

The foundation of our friendship had not of course been the power play of a 50 over cricket match, but it definitely has been successful in emulating the brick by brick batting style of a Rahul Dravid. Incidentally we both are fervent fans of cricket and it had well fuelled our steady conversations. Of course it took me a while to digest why she would have supported Kolkata Knight Riders. It was not because of the regional sentiment, but because of the nemesis (well, I am compelled to use that word now) called Shahrukh Khan. She often says she would have gladly married to Shahrukh had he been divorced to Gauri. I had so far made some gawky comments about it and she would have shrugged off my klutzy murmur with a smile (Because I am yet to meet her, I strongly believe she has a graceful smile).

She would in all probability curses me for not watching Chak De, the movie in which Shahrukh had give a performance of a lifetime and had been a runaway success. I actually find hard to comprehend how the Indian women Hockey Team would have won a World Cup Tournament, when the Men had failed to qualify for the Olympics (Leave aside the Heroics portrayed by Shahrukh as the Hockey Coach). I have had never-ending arguments over the story line of Chak De, but Mansi would observe “It’s about making impossible possible idiot”. Well, I would still not buy the argument, but would obviously admire her liking for the King of Bollywood.

I believe she strongly follows the Astrology. She would describe the traits of every Zodiac sign with the effortless ease which an Analyst of an Economy predicts the GDP growth pattern. She had told me that an Aquarian would be most compatible with a Leo or a Gemini. I said I am an Aquarian and I hardly get well compatible with anyone, forget Leo or Gemini. Then her immediate issue would be how often I would recognize which zodiac sign I was interacting. Perhaps she had been correct or perhaps otherwise also. But I love these differences in thinking. Our disagreements have often helped know each other better.



No comments: